Zucchini is the ultimate staple food for healthy eating. “Zucchini boasts a rich nutritional profile, and it offers health benefits thanks to its phytonutrients, mineral and vitamin content,” according to Livestrong.com. As a versatile vegetable, zucchini can be used throughout many dishes. Stay tuned for more zucchini recipes at Freshly Northern.
Combining great flavors to make a dish will encourage you and your taste buds that eating healthy is just as enjoyable as eating your favorite cheat meal.
“Eating healthy makes you overall healthier and live longer,” Mackenzie Lynch, 20, of DeKalb, Illinois said. “I always try to include either a fruit or vegetable into every meal.”
Choose to live longer with this easy-to-make and tasty vegetable medley.
Servings: 2-3 | Preparation Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 1o minutes
What you will need:
- 1/2 tsp. of olive oil
- One large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, diced
- A handful of baby carrots sliced (about 4 or 5)
- Two mushrooms, sliced
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved (about 5 or 6)
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
What to do:
- Add the olive oil to a medium skillet over medium heat
- Add zucchini, red onion, baby carrots, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.
- Sprinkle garlic powder to taste. (I like a lot of garlic so I usually add a couple shakes.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the skillet and let it cook for 6 to 7 minutes or until the zucchini is soft.
- After the zucchini can easily be pieced with a fork, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of the vegetables.
- Once all the cheese has melted (about two minutes), remove from heat.
- Let the skillet cool and serve.