Motivation to cook dinner is almost nonexistent after trudging home from a busy day at work or a study session at the library. As a pizza enthusiast, my typical busy night dinner was always frozen or takeout pizza.
Unfortunately, everyday pizza comes with some baggage. By baggage I mean a day’s worth calories, sodium and saturated fat. You can take a peak at the nutrition facts from this popular take-out restaurant’s pizza here.
What could be better than eating pizza without the guilt behind it? Nothing.
On a mission to create a healthier version of the favorites, here is a unique spin on classic pizza.
Servings: 4 | Total time: 35 minutes
You will need:
- 5 basil leaves, cut into ribbon-like strips
- 5 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 flatbreads
- 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 handful of arugula
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
What to do:
- Melt the butter and add sliced mushrooms and onions into a medium size pan over medium heat for 8 minutes. Add the sugar and cook for 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a pastry brush to dust the top of the flatbreads with the olive oil.
- Top flatbreads with cheese. The important part of this recipe is the veggies on top not the cheese, so add sparingly.
- Add the chopped chicken, mushrooms and onions.
6. Sprinkle on basil and garlic.
7. Lay tomato slices on other toppings.
8. Cook flatbreads in the oven between 10-15 minutes or until the crust of the flatbread turns golden brown.
9. Toss arugula in balsamic vinegar and set aside.
10. Remove flatbreads from the oven, top with arugula, cut into pieces and enjoy!
Leftover flatbreads are best kept in foil and consumed within a few days. This recipe can be changed around to add your favorite vegetables, proteins and cheeses.
NOTE: Try to keep the number of toppings low to make sure the flatbreads can fully cook. If you HAVE to include a large number of toppings, you can pre-cook the flatbreads by putting them in the oven for 7 minutes, then add the cheese and other toppings for the remaining time.