When I’m sick I become the most vulnerable to the quick meals and not the good kind, the fast food kind. I never want to cook when I’m sick so instead I’ve found the perfect sick-time recipe. Soups are typically saved for the winter blues but let’s be real – we get sick all year round. This chicken noodle soup recipe not only requires little to no attention, but also, it will make you feel better after eating too. Check out some of the great benefits of chicken noodle soup in this infographic from UPMC:
Better than your Grandma’s Chicken Noodle Soup
Servings: 4 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
What you will need:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups egg noodles
- Oyster crackers
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the chicken breasts on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- When there are 5 minutes left for the chicken, in a large pot heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add celery and onion and cook until onions are translucent.
- Stir in chicken broth, water, carrots, parsley, salt and pepper.
- After the soup begins to boil, decrease the heat slightly and let soup simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour in egg noodles and cook for another 15 minutes or until the noodles are no longer hard.
- Serve once cooled (this will take a bit unless you want to burn your mouth) and top with desired oyster crackers.
Note; This is a basic chicken noodle soup recipe but if you want to add more vegetables try adding some frozen sweet peas at step 5 or add a handful of spinach when you add the egg noodles.
If you have leftovers, portion into Tupperware and freeze. When reheating, run warm water over the Tupperware to loosen the frozen soup from the sides of the container. Drop frozen soup into a pot over low heat and add 1/2 cup of water. Cook until heated through.
Here’s to feeling better!