Although summer hasn’t officially started, we have reached peak ‘summer’ status. Today I was able to purchase a carton of raspberries for under $3 (thanks Hy-Vee) which means – they’re in season! Naturally, I needed to buy a few cartons of these delicious little berries.
Summer nights are typically saved for high calorie, high sugar drinks but instead, I’ve found a great way to use up the overabundance of raspberries that I bought!
Raspberry lime margarita
Servings: 3 | Prep time: 10 minutes
What you will need:
- 6 oz. of gold tequila (2 oz. per serving)
- Juice from 1/2 of a lime
- Margarita mix
- 1 handful of raspberries (about 9)
- 1/2 of a lime, cut into 3 wedges
What to do:
- Fill three margarita glasses with ice.
- In a separate glass or drink shaker, use the back of a spoon to lightly mush half of the raspberries. Doing this will pull out some of the juices while still leaving most of the raspberries intact.
- Add tequila and lime juice to the mushed raspberries and stir or if using a shaker, shake gently to combine all ingredients.
- Disperse the liquid in the glass or shaker evenly between the three margarita glasses.
- Fill the glasses the rest of the way with margarita mix.
- Use a straw to stir to combine the margarita mix with the alcohol. (Typically margarita glasses aren’t deep enough to hold a straw, but if you want to keep the straws in, cut part of the straw end off to make it short enough to stand up.)
- Garnish the glasses with a raspberry and a lime wedge.
NOTE: To make a frozen margarita add all ingredients (besides the garnishes) to a blender and blend away. Blend until the large ice chunks are gone.
P.S. : If you’re interested in rimming your glass, you can pour some sugar onto a plate, use a lime wedge and slide it around the rim of the glass and dip in the sugar.
REMEMBER to always drink responsibly and to NEVER drink and drive.