In between working full time and the homework from the last few classes I need to graduate, I’ve been trying to spend time doing as many adventurous things as possible. Last weekend, my boyfriend and I went hiking through Starved Rock State Park and Matthiessen State Park. If you love waterfalls as much as we do, I highly recommend going. We easily hiked a healthy 8.5 miles and we saw some gorgeous falls.
[Editor’s note: If you’re here for more than just the skillet recipe, keep scrolling for more photos of our hike!]
Something that kept us going through both state parks (and dealing with parking) was the food we ate before and during our hikes. You can find examples of our on-the go snacks we brought here.
First, a big, healthy breakfast was NECESSARY. I get terribly hangry (an awful combination of angry and hungry) so I always have to fill up with a hearty breakfast before doing anything that’s going to take up most of the day. If you have an action-packed day coming up and you have a bit of time to make yourself more than the typical smoothie bowl try this delicious skillet:
Bacon veggie skillet
Servings: 2 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes
Things you will need:
- 4 eggs, scrambled
- Splash of milk
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 a bag of shredded hash browns
- 1/2 of a green pepper, diced
- 1/2 of a red pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Handful of shredded mexican cheese, optional
- 1/2 of a medium onion, sliced
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- a dash of sugar
- 1 cup of pico de gallo
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Start by adding 1/2 the butter, shredded hash browns, green pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, salt, pepper and green onions to a large skillet on medium heat. When the hash browns just begin to turn golden brown (about 10-12 minutes) add the cheese.
- While the hash browns are cooking , cover a baking sheet with foil. Place the bacon strips across the pan. Try not to overlap the bacon. Place the bacon in the oven and let cook for 8 minutes. Then, flip the bacon and let cook for another 8 minutes. After it’s done place it on top of some paper towels to soak up the excess grease and place some paper towels on top too.
- Take the other 1/2 of the butter and melt it in a small to medium size skillet on medium heat. Add sliced onion and mushrooms and cook until the onions are translucent. Stir in the dash of sugar and cook until the onions just start to caramelize.
- Scramble the four eggs with the splash of milk and cook until desired consistency. I like to leave mine a slightly undercooked because they’ll continue to cook while plating.
- Start plating with the hash browns, flattening them across the plate with the back of a spoon. Then add the mushrooms and onions followed by the eggs. Crumble the bacon on top and spoon on pico de gallo.
Note: Remember to stay fully hydrated during hiking to avoid cramping. The best beverage for this? Always water. Leave those flavored, sugary drinks behind.